There are a number of ways you can reduce garbage. Remember, the less garbage, the less items that need to be recycled!
Here is a list of some of the things you can do to reduce garbage:
- Use a reusable lunch bag or box, you won't need to throw away a paper bag everyday!
- When you make a purchase, don't take a bag unless you absolutely need one.
- Rent things you use infrequently instead of purchasing them.
- Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins.
- Use a sponge or cloth instead of paper towels.
- Look for items that use little or no packaging.
- Use reusable plastic containers for food instead of plastic bags.
- Use rechargeable batteries instead of disposable ones.
- Read books, magazines, and newspapers at the library instead of purchasing them.
- Use plates, cups, and utensils that can be washed instead of ones you throw away.
- Purchase items like juice and detergent in concentrate when possible.
- Avoid buying foods in single serving packages.
If you know of other ways to reduce garbage please add your suggestions below.